being interdisciplinary and being feminist

Sally McConnell Ginet smg9 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Feb 26 02:44:36 UTC 1999

I'd like to second Deborah Cameron's comments about
inter/multidisciplinarity.  In my view, we'd really be impoverished if we
insisted on limiting the field of language and gender to linguists.  I also
agree that we should focus on what we might do and see how ethos develops
from there--we don't really want to be giving litmus tests on people's
feminist principles.  And Miriam's and Megan's secondings of Mary's outline
of how things now proceed also seem to me to fit with a sensible course of
action. Do we want to try to organize a (regularly scheduled) conference?
Do we want a dues-paying organization?  A journal?  Perhaps the temporary
exec comm could serve until there is time for an election, after which we
might have a regular process for rotating responsibilities and leadership.
Sally

Sally McConnell-Ginet
Professor of Linguistics
Chair, Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall, Cornell
Ithaca, NY 14853-4701
607-255-6469  (Ling Dept office: 255-1105)
FAX: 607-255-2044