vote on BWLG/GALA connection

Victoria L. Bergvall vbergval at MTU.EDU
Tue Jul 6 19:54:19 UTC 1999

I regret that I step into this discussion after too long a silence over the
past months (due to bureaucratic overload locally). I hope I've kept up on
most of the many excellent points of discussion in the past weeks..

I have to agree with Chris and others that I am also a bit concerned over
the possible choices outlined by Mary Bucholtz.

>1. GALA should not establish any official connection to BWLG.
>2. GALA should establish a symbolic connection to BWLG, which would
>acknowledge its importance as a foundational language and gender
>association but wouldn't draw on its resources in any material way.
>3. GALA should establish a symbolic and material connection to BWLG. A
>material connection to BWLG would involve the following:
>- Finding a home for its computer, files, etc.
>- Making use of its mailing list.
>- Holding a conference that acknowledges the "passing of the torch" from BWLG
>to GALA (but one that might be quite different from BWLG's conferences, as
>some have suggested).
>- Continuing to make available the BWLG conference proceedings from earlier
>years.

I feel that there should be a position partway between 2 and 3: I envision
GALA as a separate entity that explicitly places the discussion of GENDER
at the center, not necessarily WOMEN (though personally I am a feminist and
strongly encourage and incorporate that perspective in my work).

Despite my personal political leanings, however, I believe that to really
understand the workings of gender, we need a strong central place to
interrogate gender and issues more broadly (i.e., not always with women and
feminism at the center)--even encouraging the submission of work with
people we might violently disagree with--and that means
encouraging/integrating a lot more work on issues of language among and
between lesbians, gay men, men, transgendered people, women, etc., not
necessarily/just "Women and Language".

Thus, my biggest problem is that I see a discontinuity between GALA's goals
and the (possibly limiting perceptions of the) NAME/TITLE of the Berkeley
Women and Language Group and the conference they have sponsored. In fact, I
know that BWLG has been open to and sponsored important work in
transgendered/men's/... language, in fact, central to supporting some of
the best US work in language and gender research, and I am heartily
grateful for all their wonderful work.

Therefore, while I also see BWLG as in the position of passing on an
important symbolic and material torch to GALA (i.e., most of position (3)),
I feel we must start GALA as "separate" and broader in appeal (so, more
like 2??).

Can we have it both ways, tap/adopt their resources while making it clear
that we are not just an offshoot of that group? Or is that "using" BWLG
unfairly?

Is there a possibility of somehow defining and voting for a 2.5??

Vicky

P.S. As for Penny Eckert and Stanford sponsoring something on Gender and
Language next spring, GO FOR IT!

Victoria L. Bergvall       Associate Professor of Linguistics
Department of Humanities    Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive    Houghton    Michigan 49931-1295    USA
vbergval at mtu.edu    Phone: (906)487-3260   Fax: (906)487-3559