GALA and BWLG

Alice Freed FREEDA at ALPHA.MONTCLAIR.EDU
Thu Jul 8 00:12:19 UTC 1999

Hi everyone,

     I've been away for the past ten days and got home
just in time to vote on what sort of connection I would like to
see between GALA and BWLG. I am posting my vote to the group (and
not, as requested, just to Mary) since I would like to explain
my position.

     I am voting for #1. GALA should not establish any official
connection to BWLG.

     I do think that the collective experience and
resources of BWLG are of great value and so I would like to
encourage the BWLG people to think about donating their files,
mailing lists, and computer, to GALA. In my opinion, however, this
is a decision that should be made by BWLG and should not be part of the
official organizing document of GALA. In reaching this decision, I
was certainly influenced by the concerns that other people
expressed about the implications of a formal connection between
BWLG and GALA. I should add that I have greatly enjoyed and have
definitely benefited from the conferences and publications of BWLG
since 1992 but I think it is best for GALA to establish a separate
identity for itself.

     Alice

     Alice F. Freed
     Linguistics Department