Feminism, the vote.

Chris Beckwith beckwith at INDIANA.EDU
Wed Jun 9 16:38:08 UTC 1999

Megan's concerns could perhaps be addressed by including in GALA's
philosophical statement something to the effect that "feminist,
masculinist, and queer viewpoints are especially welcomed."  The idea, to
my mind, is that as a gender & language studies group we ought to be as
INclusive as possible.  Explicitly mentioning some viewpoints or
groups to encourage them is still inclusive, not exclusive.  The reason
for GALA to begin with, I thought, is that many of us have felt excluded
for one reason or another (research area, orientation, particular feminist
viewpoint, etc.) from other organizations and their journals.  This is
why (although I would prefer that it be rewritten) the first option in the
vote seems to me most open (welcoming) to different participants.

Chris