The vote

Michal Brody brody at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Jun 9 22:45:19 UTC 1999

Option #3 comes closest to what I would wish GALA to be. I like Alice
Freed's working definition of feminism, and I would tweak it in the
following ways (here's the quote for reference):

AF:  "feminism" means something related to both theory and practice. The
theoretical: the pursuit and creation of new knowledge resulting from the
investigation of new questions and diverse experiences that have been
neglected by traditional scholarship because this was established according
to male norms. (white, heterosexist male norms.) The practical: This
knowledge should be used to create a world in which issues involving sex and
gender difference are minimized and equal opportunities and possibilities
exist for everyone."

1) The qualification "white, heterosexist male norms" should be in the main
sentence rather than in parens; it's an important distinction. Being picky,
I would even suggest that 'white' be changed to something more like
'Euro-oriented' to emphasize geography and history rather than race/color.

2) ". . .  difference[s] are minimized. . . "   Rather than "minimized,"
I'd suggest something like '. . . a world in which issues involving sex,
gender, or sexuality differences would not be used in the service of
creating/maintaining any system of unequal access to social or economic
resources based on any of those differences.' My reasoning, again being
picky (militant fire-breathing feminist that I am ;-) ), is that I'd like
to allow for the possibility that we might (or might not. whatever.) find
differences along any kind of dimension that are genuine and significant
(and maybe even desirable); it's just that those differences shouldn't
carry social penalties.

Michal