Feminism and scholarship

Patricia Sawin Patricia_Sawin at UNC.EDU
Thu Jun 10 18:41:46 UTC 1999

I wrote this at the end of last week, but there was a computer glitch so it didn't get posted and
I couldn't try again until today.  Like Megan and other I do not want to exclude anyone, but do
feel passionately about the need for GALA to have a feminist commitment (a la Freed).
ontent-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

> OK, I've been lurking long enough and will finally put in my two cents'
> worth.
>
> I'm among those who think GALA should describe itself as a specifically
> feminist organization and I'd like to persuade Chris and others who are
> concerned about this possibility that that by no means restricts our scope
> to the study of women and language.
>
> My thumbnail definition is that a "feminist" approach to the study of
> language involves attention to gender differences in language *with an
> awareness of the power differences* that go along with/are generated by
> them.  I'm grateful to Alice Freed, who opened my eyes to this simple
> distinction with her critique of Deborah Tannen's _You Just Don't
> Understand_.  As I remember Freed putting it, thinking about gender
> difference without acknowledging gender dominance is a deeply regressive stance.
>
> Further, this feminism is not a narrowly political move, not simply a way
> of saying, "I'm a woman and I want more!"  I follow Sandra Harding and
> Lorraine Code, who are proud to call themselves *feminist*
> epistemologists, in believing that this kind of feminist stance leads to
> better theory and better research.  Harding and Code argue that an
> "objective," empirical approach will be "weak" if we insist that it be
> coupled with value neutrality.  Such research claims to correct for
> possible errors by insisting on the repeatability of research results, but
> in fact, it absolutely does not and cannot correct for errors in the
> research design replicated over and over by widely held (hegemonic)
> attitudes of the researchers.  "Biases that may have infected the 'context
> of discovery'" cannot be eliminated by more rigorous empiricism.  "Strong
> objectivity" can only be achieved by taking power differences into
> account.
>
> So, by this definition, study of Gay and Lesbian language and Queer Theory
> are emphatically included.  Study of men's talk in purely homosocial
> contexts also fits right in, unless you completely ignore the possibility
> that such interaction plays a role in consolidating or (dare I dream? find
> me an example!) challenging male power or pretend that men's homosocial
> speech adequately represents an entire culture.
>
> Of course there are still practical problems:
>
> 1) I personally can be comfortable tracing a feminist genealogy for
> this position, but I am painfully aware that this "inclusion" can feel to
> some like appropriation.  White, heterosexual feminists have come in for
> plenty of accurate criticism for their own blindnesses.  If, to take only
> one example, a theorist of Gay language doesn't want his or her work to be
> subsumed under the feminist label, then that's a strong argument for some
> more inclusive language.
>
> 2) Men may feel that they are summarily excluded from a "feminist"
> organization since they don't share/aren't aware of the kind of definition
> [...]

-- End original message --