call for discussion: item 1c.i

Trechter, Sara STRECHTER at CSUCHICO.EDU
Wed Mar 31 22:13:52 UTC 1999

Howdy,

 I do like the idea of *affirming* diversity in terms of keeping this
organization open to genders, sexualities and languages as its major foci
rather than only asserting a 'feminist/womanist?' philosophical orientation.
Perhaps this is because I'm finding queer studies very useful in moving my
students beyond essentialism, and I find the dialog and tension between
these areas productive for my own work.

Alternative formats in academic journals have not necessarily sacrificed
rigor or reputation.  They make the journals more interesting to read. The
American Historical Association journal and the American Anthropological
Association's main publication are two journals that I read for 'fun.' I
don' t think that their inclusion of film reviews and commentaries
appropriate to their fields have overly compromised them ;) Even _Language_
has tried to change with the times by incorporating "Field Reports."

sara

Sara Trechter
English Department
CSU, Chico (home of the 4/4 load)