new topic

JANET BING jbing at ODU.EDU
Sun May 2 16:37:28 UTC 1999

Since this is now a free for all, I'd like to comment on another item
in the agenda, the question of what this organization might actually
do.  I think an annual conference is certainly within the realm of
possibility, even without extensive funding.  Conferences that
involve hotels (like the recent SECOL one which my university hosted
this past month) involve major financial commitment for the people
who organize it, but conferences like LACUS which use university
facilities and housing are possible. I would suggest an annual
conference held in the summer.

I think there's probably a general agreement that GALA wants to be as
inclusive as possible and not self-identify as an exclusively
feminist organization, but I do have to question Chris's belief that
"science requires neutrality," perhaps because I've read too many of
Stephen J. Gould's books.  It's a lot healthier to admit and attempt
to compensate for our biases than to assume we're capable of
neutrality.

Janet Bing
Dept. of English
Old Dominion University