name vote

Kenneth Allen Hyde kenny at UDEL.EDU
Thu Sep 9 16:10:23 UTC 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Michelle Maria Lazar wrote:

> I agree with Larry Horn concerning the ambiguous reading of GALAXY. In fact,
> in my mind, the second interpretation (i.e. for XY people) was more
> prominent than the first (i.e. as covering all).

I definitely have to second this.  The XY (male) chromosone pair seems to
me to be the salient reading of XY.

Just a comment, but I have to admit that some of the recent are verging on
the cutesy/contrived (I was dismayed to see some of my "suggestions,"
which I gave as bad examples, included in the nominations).  May I throw a
real suggestion into the arena?

How about ALGR = The Association of Language and Gender Researchers.  This
would include all of our proposed membership (in other words, anyone who
is interested in and researching language and gender).

Ken

Kenneth Allen Hyde     |  No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife
Univ. of Delaware      |  between the shoulder blades will seriously
Dept. of Linguistics   |  cramp his style  -- Old Jhereg proverb
kenny at Udel.Edu         |  A mind is a terrible toy to waste! -- Me

//www.ling.udel.edu/hyde/prof/ken.html