name vote

anna livia livia at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Sep 10 00:52:05 UTC 1999

Hi,

Just want to say that I am quite serious about the name GALAXY--we could
spell it GALAXXY if people are really worried about the old chromosome
thing. Personally I find it hard to imagine anyone seriously thinking that
"Gender and Language Association XY" was a group for men only. It certainly
is a possible reading, but given the gender of most scholars working in the
area, I find it a bit far-fetched.  Doesn't context dispell any male-only
illusion?

 I want to push for a name we can say, that means something, and that isn't
just an assemblage of letters. ALGR would sound to me like another obscure,
dull group of scholars congregating in the dusty recess of an ill-lit
library.