gender, conversation analysis and feminism

Kate Remlinger remlingk at GVSU.EDU
Tue May 8 15:29:51 UTC 2001

Dear Liz,

The special issue of Discourse & Society looks exciting. My work is a feminist based approach to conversation analysis whereby I use use Critical Discourse Analysis and cultural practice theory. My research primarily focuses on the constitution of gender and sexuality ideologies through talk, in particular how university students use language to create, maintain, challenge, and change notions of what it means to be women, men, lesbian, gay, and straight. I have also applied this approach to examine gender/sexuality ideologies as represented in pop media, specifically the US television show _Allie McBeal_. I'm very interested in the possibility of contributing to the special issue of Discourse & Society. I'd be happy to send you an abstract, list of publications, etc.

Thank you,

Kate Remlinger, PhD

Associate Professor of English
Department of English
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49401 USA
tel: 616 895-3122
fax: 616 896-3430
email: remlingk at gvsu.edu

>>> E.Stokoe at WORC.AC.UK 05/08/01 06:43 AM >>>
Dear all,

We would like to hear from people who are doing feminist work
using conversation analysis / membership categorisation analysis,
regarding a Call for Papers for a special issue of Discourse and
Society.

If you do this kind of work and are interested, please email Liz
Stokoe (e.stokoe at worc.ac.uk).

Thanks,

Liz Stokoe and Ann Weatherall.

Dr. Liz Stokoe (C.Psychol)