gender and language

Jack Sidnell jsidnell at NWU.EDU
Wed Oct 24 16:13:24 UTC 2001

Penny Eckert suggests that our models of standard and vernacular are
pretty monolithic. One implication is that the social meaning of
particular variants may not be adequately captured with reference to
their position on a scale of standard to non-standard. To see this we
need to examine variants with an eye to their location in particular
historically and socially situated speech economies and repetoires
(as Eckert does in her recent book and elsewhere).

Backing up a bit. With respect to explanations for women's apparently
greater use of standard variants, one might also consider work by
Nichols (and Milroy) which links such findings to patterns of
employment and the gendered division of labor:

Nichols, Patricia (1983). Linguistic options and choices for Black
women in the rural South. In Barrie
Thorne et al. (eds.), Language, gender and society, 54-68. Cambridge,
MA: Newbury House.

Finally, with respect to the notion that there is greater linguistic
differentiation among women than among men. There may be examples
where this goes the other way around - cases in which women seem
quite constrained in their use of linguistic variants in comparison
with men. A couple of examples are:

Hill, Jane (1987). Women's speech in modern Mexicano. In Susan U.
Philips et al. (eds.) 1987, 121-60.
Philips, Susan U., et al. (1987), eds. Language, gender and sex in
comparative perspective. Cam-bridge
& New York: Cambridge University Press.

Sidnell, Jack (1999) Gender and pronominal variation in an
Indo-Guyanese creole-speaking community. Language in Society 28(3):
367-399.