gender and language

Emma Moore ef.moore at TESCO.NET
Wed Oct 24 14:58:52 UTC 2001

I just wanted to add that I'm currently researching the grammar of a group
of British high school girls and, for several variables (e.g. multiple
negation, singular _were_, demonstrative _them_) some girls use equal
amounts, if not more, of the nonstandard than some boys. As Penny Eckert
outlined, the issue is really what groups you are looking at and what
factors influence their social activity and interaction. Generalisations
about what 'men do' and what 'women do' don't really tell us anything about
the reality of different communities.

Also, research methodology plays a big part in how the language of women is
portrayed. The results of a survey are only reliable if its analysis of
women's behaviour is truly representative. See:

Wodak, Ruth and Gertraud Benke (1997) "Gender as a sociolinguistic variable:
New perspectives on variation studies." In: Florian Coulmas (ed.), _The
Handbook of Sociolinguistics_, 127-150. Oxford: Blackwell.

and

Cameron, Deborah ([1989]1990) "Introduction". In: Jennifer Coates and
Deborah Cameron (eds.), _Women in their Speech Communities: New Perspectives
on Language and Sex_, 3-12. New York/London: Longman.

who examine some of the ways that some sociolinguistic methodology could be
perceived as sexist.

Emma Moore
University of Manchester
E-mail: e.f.moore at stud.man.ac.uk