gender and language

Henry Rogers rogers at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Thu Oct 25 15:52:43 UTC 2001

I agree with Larry's notion of gay-sounding male speech being freed from the
constraints of straight male speech (at least as part of the explanation);
however, the specific example of pitch variation is problematic. In terms of
simple phonetic range, neither Gaudio nor we found any difference in gay- and
straight sounding male speech. Further, Henton and others have argued that the
widely reported greater female variation results from improper normalisation of
pitch range; she says that when done in semitones, male voices actually show
greater variation than female.

Hank Rogers

Henry Rogers                                rogers at chass.utoronto.ca
6072 Robarts Library                    http://chass.utoronto.ca/~rogers/
Department of Linguistics           vox:  (416-) 978-1769
University of Toronto                  fax:    (416-) 971-2688
Toronto, Ontario,