gender across languages

Mila K Engelberg engelber at CC.HELSINKI.FI
Mon Apr 22 12:32:38 UTC 2002

Dear list members,

the following  three-volume series on gender category in 30 languages may
interest you. I apologize for any cross-postings.

Hellinger, Marlis & Bussmann, Hadumod (eds.), Gender across languages: The
linguistic representation of women and men. Vol I-III. IMPACT: Studies in
Language and Society. Benjamins.

Languages of Volume I: Arabian, Belizean Creole, Eastern Maroon Creole,
English (American, New Zealand, Australian), Hebrew, Indonesian, Romanian,
Russian, Turkish.

Languages of Volume II: Chinese, Dutch, Finnish, Hindi, Icelandic,
Italian, Norwegian, Spanish, Vietnamese, Welsh.

Languages of Volume III (forthcoming): Czech, Danish, French, German,
Greek, Japanese, Oriya, Polish, Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian, Swahili, Swedish

Yours sincerely,
Mila Engelberg
Department of general linguistics
Helsinki University