results and more voting

Trechter, Sara strechter at CSUCHICO.EDU
Thu Jul 18 17:27:44 UTC 2002

The bylaws have passed unanimously. It is now time to begin the election for
president-elect and secretary.  We have one nominee for each position, and
the full description of the candidates is below.

a.  President-elect (a 2-year term. Upon termination, the president elect
becomes president): Sara Mills
b.  Secretary (a 2-year term): Miriam Meyerhoff

Please vote by emailing the outgoing secretary (Sara Trechter) and president
(Penny Eckert) of IGALA at strechter at csuchico.edu; eckert at csli.stanford.edu
before Friday, August 16. Please do not respond to this message and send
your vote to the entire list. If you have not yet joined, and wish to
participate in the voting, please go to the IGALA website and follow the
links for "Joining IGALA":  http://www.stanford.edu/group/igala/contact.html

President-elect: Sara Mills, Sheffield Hallam University, UK

My interest in gender and language stems mainly from the realisation that
women can gain a certain amount of interactional power through the analysis
of others' language usage and also through attention to their own. I am
primarily concerned therefore with issues such as gender and politeness,
overt and implicit sexism and how it can be challenged, and gender and
public speaking: all of these issues have a great impact on peoples' lives
and analysis of the relationships between gender and these issues can help
us understand the workings of power at a local level, and I feel it can
bring about change in gender relations.

My vision for IGALA: I would hope that the organisation would consolidate
links with feminist theorists and women's groups  in a wide range of
countries and to help feminist researchers in other countries to have access
to resources which would help them in their research, at the same time as
increasing Western understanding of gender relations in different cultural
contexts.

Secretary: Miriam Meyerhoff, University of Edinburgh, UK
I am Lecturer in the Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics at
the University of Edinburgh. I have also taught and worked in the United
States and New Zealand at various stages in my life, and continue to have
close ties in the Pacific (mainly Vanuatu, New Zealand and Hawai'i). I have
been working on language and gender off and on since 1984; my interests lie
in the theoretical debates defining the field, how research on language and
gender relates to non-academic fields, and how gender plays out in the
general study of language variation and change. I would like my work on
language and gender, and on-going changes in the structure and use of the
creole spoken in Vanuatu to grow closer together, perhaps working with
Ni-Vanuatu to investigate how gender ideologies affect the maintenance of
local vernaculars in different communities. I have published work on
language and gender in Language in Society, and am co-editor of the
forthcoming Handbook of Language and Gender. My work on linguistic structure
has appeared in Language Variation and Change and Oceanic Linguistics.
I was really happy to see such a wide range of faces and names at the last
IGALA conference in Lancaster, including researchers from Kenya and
Australasia. I think the next two IGALA conferences, and our activities
outside the conferences, will be crucial in consolidating the breadth of our
reach, making sure a wide range of voices and concerns are heard.

Dr. Sara Trechter, Assoc Professor
English/Linguistics, CSU, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0830
(530) 898-4449 (office)