Linguistic Value Judgements

Kathryn Remlinger remlingk at GVSU.EDU
Mon Mar 4 19:36:36 UTC 2002

Your student might also find Dennis Preston's book, Perceptual Dialectology, helpful. Also, the new Handbook of Language Variation and Change has an article by Preston, Language with an Attitude, that might be useful.

--Kate Remlinger

Kathryn Remlinger, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English: Linguistics
Department of English
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI 49401 USA
remlingk at gvsu.edu
tel: 616-895-3122
fax: 616-895-3430

>>> ef.moore at TESCO.NET 03/04/02 10:44 AM >>>
Re: Linguistic Value JudgementsAs people have been responding directly to me, I've been asked to post the responses I received regarding references for research on linguistic value judgements. This way everyone has access to them. Here goes:

Purnell, Thomas, William Idsardi, & John Baugh (1999).  Perceptual and phonetic experiments on American English dialect identification.@ Journal of Language and Social Psychology 18:10-30.

Buzzanell, Patrice M., Burrell, Nancy A., Stafford, R. Shane, and
Berkowitz, Sandra. (1996). When I call you up and you're not there:
Application of communication accommodation theory to telephone answering
machine messages. Western Journal of Communication. 60 (4, Fall),
310-336.

Kuntjara, Esther (2001) "Gender in Javanese Indonesian". In: Marlis Hellinger and H. Busmann (eds), _Gender Across Languages_. Amsterdam: Benjamin.

Nancy Niedzielski (Journal of Language and Social Psychology 1999).

I've been promised more, so will post them as and when I receive them.

Thanks again to those who've helped,
Emma.

Emma Moore
University of Manchester