gender-marked words in English

Gerry Yokota-Murakami gyokota at LANG.OSAKA-U.AC.JP
Tue Sep 24 01:04:56 UTC 2002

Ken--

Alleen Pace Nilsen published an article in The Gender Reader titled
Sexism in English: A 1990s Update, where she summarizes the results of
such a list --  actually several lists of an even broader range than
what you ask about in your query. She was apparently originally working
with index cards. For example, referring to eponyms, she says she had a
two and a half inch stack of cards taken from men's names but less than
a half inch stack from women's names. I don't know if she ever published
the list itself or a more extensive analysis of it thereafter (wouldn't
it be great to have it in digital form?), but it might be worth
following up on. I think she's at Arizona State. The article is also
reprinted in Experiencing Race, Class, and Gender in the United States.

Gerry Yokota-Murakami
Faculty of Language and Culture
Osaka University, Japan