lexical representation

Theodossia-Soula Pavlidou pavlidou at LIT.AUTH.GR
Mon Feb 17 16:14:26 UTC 2003

Dear All,

Does anybody know of any work done in any language on the quantitative
distribution of the grammatical gender (e.g., masculine, feminine,
neuter) of nouns and their semantic content (e.g. concrete/abstract,
positive or negative when referring to humans, etc.)?

I am aware of the work done in this direction back in the seventies, but
now that dictionaries are available in electronic form, there must have
been more recent work concerning the lexical representation of men and
women that takes advantage of this possibility. I am looking into Modern
Greek from this perspective (as well), but haven't been able to spot
something similar for other languages.

With thanks in advance for any information that you could provide,

Soula

--
Theodossia-Soula Pavlidou
Professor of Linguistics