female women

Alphen, I.C. van I.C.vanAlphen at UVA.NL
Tue Jun 10 13:22:47 UTC 2003

The Dutch language has many -more or less productive- suffices which make male forms (which are also called -by some ignorant people- gender-neutral- forms) feminine i.e.: -ster, -e, esse, -in, and some others. In our language two systems co-occur: use of male term for both genders ('unmarked' form): "she is a writer" (schrijver)  or use of feminine form: "she is a writress" (schrijfster) or indeed: double gender: "she is a female writress" (vrouwelijke schrijfster: hits in Google: 1930, 'female actress': 602.000!; Dutch 'vrouwelijke actrice': 2250)
The double genderform is perhaps due to the co-occurrence of the two systems, which make people insecure. (The Dutch feminine suffices have - by the way- a less negative connotation than the English -esse, except from the " usual" loss of status of being a woman, for instance: it is better to be The Best Writer, than to be the Best Female Writer or Best Writress because of the markedness for gender of the latter two forms.)
Because of the co-occurrence of the two systems in Dutch we cannot say that inappropriateness or rarity of the feminine noun is a reason for double gender, as is suggested by Baron. Emphasize its negativity? Perhaps, but maybe also to emphasize the female or feminine sex ( I deliberately use the word sex here) of the subject spoken about. The tiny FEMsuffices (-ster,-e, -in) at the end (!) of the nouns are apparently not enough for the hearer or reader to conceptualise the person as a woman. Perhaps by hearing or reading the first letters of a word "writ.." people first get the male form out of their mental lexicon (the priming process) due to dominance of this word/underlying gender in most societies. By adding "female"/"vrouwelijk" or a prefix "nais.."in Finnish) before the lexical crucial term the hearer is helped to make the right interpretation. By ending it with a suffix, the male conceptualised kernel WORD becomes embedded by two feminine markers (both having half power...?)
Another explanation is that double gender is a form of hypercorrection in order "not to forget women" because I found in Dutch the following forms of grammatical hypercorrection*:
(1) Harry Mulish[male writer] makes a choice of his or her favourite moves.
(2) Ruud Gullit,[male player in very male Dutch soccer team that lost very important match, and asked for reason], answered:  "one can not say it is his or her fault"
Did anyone found examples like (1) en (2) in another language or is this Double Dutch?????

*Ingrid van ALPHEN, 1996. 'Beroepsnamen en beroepskeuzen v/m. Een sociolinguïstische analyse van de beroepskeuzen van 15-jarige meisjes en jongens in Nederland.' In: Leegwater-Van der Linden, M. (red.) Taal en beeldvorming; over vrouwen en mannen, Maart 1996, 42-54. Zoetermeer: Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschappen.

Dr. Ingrid C. van Alphen

UNIVERSITY OF AMSTERDAM
Linguistics>Sociolinguistics>Language & Gender
Spuistraat 210; 1012 VT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
phone:(+31)-20-5253872
fax:     (+31)-20-5253021