language and gender issue of Language in Society

Janet Holmes Janet.Holmes at VUW.AC.NZ
Tue Jun 10 19:56:12 UTC 2003

Mary
in light of comment below I thought you would be interested that I also had my Lancaster IGALA paper accepted by Language in Society
not sure which issue it is due out in but the title is

Relational practice in the workplace:  Women's talk or gendered discourse?

Cheers

Janet

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Bucholtz [mailto:bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 June 2003 7:23 a.m.
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: language and gender issue of Language in Society

Dear all,

You may be interested to know that the latest issue of Language in Society
(vol. 32, number 3, June 2003) focuses entirely on research on language,
gender, and sexuality, although it's not billed as a special issue. Several
papers were first presented at IGALA. Here's a brief sketch of the table of
contents:

Bonnie McElhinny, Marijke Hols, Jeff Holtzkener, Susanne Unger, and Claire
Hicks on gender and citation in sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology
Ron Smyth, Greg Jacobs, and Henry Rogers on male voices and perceived
sexual orientation
Ana Cristina Ostermann on power, solidarity, and pronoun alternation in
Brazil
Begoña Echeverria on language ideologies, gender, and Basque nationalism

It's a real testament to the diversity and quality of current research in
the field that the premiere journal of sociocultural linguistics would
devote an entire issue to these topics. It's nice to see more evidence that
research on language, gender, and sexuality is no longer on the margins of
linguistics.

Mary
Mary Bucholtz
Department of Linguistics