travestis form southern Brazil and their construction of identities

Rodrigo Borba borba.rodrigo at TERRA.COM.BR
Sat Nov 29 20:29:56 UTC 2003

Dear all,

I'm Rodrigo Borba. I've been interested in the vicissitudes in the relations of language, gender, and sexuality, so to to enhance the understandings of this field in Brazil I decided to carry a research project that aims at the linguistic characterization of travestis identities. Travestis are individuals who are biologically determined as males, but subvert their physical limitations to perfect their bodies, social actions, and linguistic features to acquire femininity.

A handfull of anthropological studies have already looked at how travestis' communities are organized around their homoseuality, the body modifications and their source of income: prostituição. however, only superficial mentions of how their identities are indexed linguistically.

If anyone is interested in my study, or even in gay men's and transgender's language drop me a message. I'll be glad to enter any discussion on language, gender, and sexuality, so please get in touch with me because i do need to share ideas with people who are interested in this area of linguistic.

I look forward to hearing from you

best wishes

Rodrigo Borba

Rodrigo Borba