Resarch ethics

Sunderland, Jane j.sunderland at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Thu Apr 8 08:46:05 UTC 2004

Dear all

In the UK we don't yet (to my knowledge) have the equivalent of this. We do however have a set of 'Recommendations for Good Practice in Applied Linguistics', developed by the Brritsh Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL), which I recommend to students. There's a 'full' and a 'student' version. Website below.

http://www.baal.org.uk/recs_index.htm

I hope this is of interest and use.

Best wishes

Jane Sunderland

-----Original Message-----
From: International Gender and Language Association
[mailto:GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]On Behalf Of Amy L Sheldon
Sent: 08 April 2004 01:46
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Teaching resources

Advice for anyone who has students collect their own data.

You'll probably need to touch base with your university's IRB board, at
least in the US.  They have to approve all Human Subjects research.
They're mainly looking out for the rights of patients in risky medical
research; so submitting a proposal for linguistic data gathering should
get you a routine, "expedited" approval.  IRB boards also have a template
for a consent form that you can work with.  Amy