interim update on workshops following igala3 conference

Sally McConnell-Ginet smg9 at CORNELL.EDU
Sat Apr 17 01:16:29 UTC 2004

As most of you know IGALA3 will be held at Cornell University in
Ithaca, NY, USA 5-7 June (with a preconference reception the evening
of Friday, 4 June).  The full program will be posted in the next week
or so but meanwhile we wanted to update you a little about the
post-conference workshops that will be held Monday, 7 June, 2:15
pm-5:15 pm.  There will be three workshops, all of them as "hands on"
as we can make them.  One is devoted to teaching language and gender
courses and will look at such matters as developing syllabi,
resources, pedagogical methods, and questions raised by different
kinds of students and institutions; the workshop facilitators, Janet
Holmes and Marisol del Teso Craviotto, will encourage people to bring
samples of the kinds of things they do in the courses they've taught.
Another emphasizes ethical and consent issues in doing language and
gender research and will include discussion of practical matters like
consent forms and dealing w/ internal review boards as well as more
basic questions about responsibilities to the communities within
which research is being conducted and the different kinds of
questions that arise in different national contexts.  This workshop
is being facilitated by Penny Eckert and Tanya Matthews.  The third
workshop will be held in the Cornell phonetics lab and will focus on
phonetic research methods and resources.  This workshop will be
facilitated by Lisa Lavoie, Rob Podesva, and Liz Strand, who among
them cover both production and perception and who all have
considerable experience doing phonetic and lg/gender/sexuality
research.  Those interested in this workshop should let us know as
soon as possible as lab space is somewhat limited; if you want to
attend, please send an e-mail to igala3 at cornell.edu as soon as
possible.  (We will assign spots on a "first come, first served"
basis.)  More detailed descriptions of each of the workshops will be
posted soon on our website (http://ling.cornell.edu/igala3/) along
with the full program for the conference.  We hope to see many of you
there!
--
Sally McConnell-Ginet
Professor of Linguistics