flirtatious language

zeus kotlet at ZEUS.POLSL.GLIWICE.PL
Thu Feb 5 22:13:39 UTC 2004

Hi,

There is a nice article by  Bell, R et al published in Human Communication
Research Vol. 14 No. 1 Fall 1987 pp. 47-67 ‘ Did you Bring the Yarmulke for
the Cabbage Patch Kid?. The Idiomatic Communication of Young Lovers.’
discussing idiom-formation and idiom-use among romantically involved
couples. As a matter of fact, years ago this article inspired one of my
students to start a project on ‘courting techniques’. She was obsessed with
the idea of ‘real data’ and spent hours in ‘real’ places to record the
‘real’ communication of ‘romantic(?) nature that her very presence in such
places was bound to provoke. Yet, and why it was so will remain her secret,
after a few weeks she decided to change the topic of her M.A..   What I
remember from those days is just two names and titles you may find useful:
Rubin, Z From liking to loving. Patterns of attraction in dating  and an old
work by Duck, S and Gilmour Personal relationships of 1981 (?)

I also remember a multilingual dictionary of love and romance I saw in UK a
few years ago, in which the organizing principle was that of script . Whose
I don’t know as it started with: Hi, I am Jack/Jill and ended with When
shall we meet again?. These two phrases bridged a very rapid river of
flirtatious language inside.

Regards

Andrzej Lyda

University of Silesia