inquiry about flirtatious language

Rodrigo Borba borba.rodrigo at TERRA.COM.BR
Mon Feb 9 23:31:06 UTC 2004

another interesting book on flirting is Flirt Coach: How to flirt for
friendship, love, and professional success by Peta Heskell (HarperCollins,
2003). Although it doesn't have an interactional sociolinguistic approach
and the focus is not on gender influences on the flirting techniques used by
men and women, I think it may be helpful to Sönke because it shows some
patterns used to flirt in English.

best regards,

Rodrigo Borba
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mary Bucholtz" <bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU>
To: <GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 2:39 PM
Subject: inquiry about flirtatious language

Does anyone have suggestions for this student? Please email me directly and
I'll pass on the information to her.

Thanks very much,

Mary

I am a student from Germany who studies Anglistics. Within a linguistic
course I want to go deeper into the field of language and flirtation. Is
there any material about how males tease (in a friendly way) women in order
to flirt with them (they enjoy the teasing and complain but insinuating that
they should go on). I want to analyse an (informal) mixed-gender
conversation. A theoretical background would be a great support for me.
Thank you very much for your efforts!!!

kind regards

Sönke Bussenius

Mary Bucholtz
Department of Linguistics
3607 South Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3100
phone: (805) 893-5415
fax: (805) 893-7769
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/bucholtz/

Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra.
Scan engine: VirusScan / Atualizado em 29/01/2004 / Versão: 1.4.1
Proteja o seu e-mail Terra: http://www.emailprotegido.terra.com.br/

---