Gender and transitive/intransitive verbs

LINDA MCLOUGHLIN MCLOUGL at HOPE.AC.UK
Mon Jul 26 10:54:39 UTC 2004

Dear Ruth,
I'm afraid I've only undertaken one comparative analysis of texts where
the focus is on transitivity from a gender point of view.  This is in my
book The Language of Magazines where I try to show the type of language
work students can do with magazine texts.  One text is from the magazine
More and the other is Men's Health.  I used Halliday's (1985) model.
Basically, in accordance with many other researchers, I found that males
were active in acts involving penetrative sex.
Best wishes,
Linda

>>> ruthgo at OPENU.AC.IL 07/25/04 03:54pm >>>
Hi,

I would like to get your help on this matter. Do you have any material
on
the subject? I found a substantial difference in usage of these two
kinds of
verbs - when writing on women and men (more intransitive verbs when
describing men and vice versa), but don't know how to explain it. Can
you
help?

Many thanks!
Ruth Pazy-Goldberg