language and gender teaching resources

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Fri Mar 26 21:08:34 UTC 2004

Hi Emma,

Your students might find it useful to analyze data from the Santa Barbara
Corpus of Spoken American English. I haven't used it for this purpose but
I've often thought it would be interesting. Part 1 is available for $75
through the Linguistic Data Consortium:

http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Projects/SBCSAE/

Best,

Mary

--On Friday, March 26, 2004 4:22 PM +0000 Emma Moore
<e.f.moore at NTLWORLD.COM> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've been invited to submit a bid to the university library to acquire
> resources for the Language and Gender course I'm putting together. I'm
> going to be asking for the usual books etc., but I wondered if anyone
> could recommend any additional resources that they have found helpful in
> their teaching. In particular, I think it might be helpful to have some
> corpora for students to use but am unsure (a) what (if anything) is
> available and (b) how practical it is for students to use such a
> resource. Can anyone advise on teaching resources?
>
> Many thanks,
> Emma.

> Emma Moore
> Lecturer in Sociolinguistics
> Department of English Language and Linguistics
> University of Sheffield
> UK
>
> Phone: +44 (0)114 222 0232
> Fax: +44 (0)114 276 8251