Transnational communities of practice

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Mon Dec 26 19:24:27 UTC 2005

Joan,

My impression is that this term gets used in a transnational sense
primarily in corporate contexts (alas). I ran across the juxtaposition of
the two concepts in an anthropology paper from the mid-1990s, but I
wouldn't credit the author with originating the idea:

<http://www.ucd.ie/lis/staff/komito/trust.htm>

Best,

Mary

--On Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:46 PM +0100 Joan Pujolar Cos
<jpujolar at UOC.EDU> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I find now and then this concept, applying the notion of "community of
> practice" to transnational practices and identities; but I am curious to
> know how the phrase emerged.
>
> Anyone knows a first/early source of this idea of communities of
> practice from a transnational perspective?
>
> Best,
>
> Joan Pujolar

Mary Bucholtz, Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics