stereotypes of women

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Tue Jul 19 23:34:38 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

Just a reminder that all past GALA-L postings are archived at:

<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/gala-l.html>

Please note that from the same site you can also manage your subscription.
With a number of subscribers going on vacation this month, it would help
the list owners (me and Sara Trechter) tremendously if you could set your
subscription to "no mail" while you're gone, especially if you have an
automated vacation message.

Thanks,

Mary

--On Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:33 PM -0300 "borba.rodrigo"
<borba.rodrigo at TERRA.COM.BR> wrote:

> Dear menbers,
>
> this week I'm working with my English students on stereotypes of women
> and men in society. My objective with this is to make them aware of
> stereotyped views of gender in society and make them aware of this fact
> and help them develop a critical position towards the subject. To
> accomplish this, I've been collecting newspaper articles and publicity
> ads. However, I realised that the question of stereotypes has been posted
> to the igala list some months ago. If I'm not mistaken, it was a message
> about some kind of fruit peeler whose instructions involved stereotyped
> views of women as housewives and the like. Does anyone still have this
> message? Unfortunately I can't remember who posted it at first. If anyone
> still has it, would you please sent it to me?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> Rodrigo
> De: "International Gender and Language Association"
> GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>
> Para: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>
> Cópia:
>
> Data: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:37:56 +0100
>
> Assunto: Seminar: 'Theoretical and Methodological Approaches to Gender
> and Language Study'
>

>> Here's the second call for abstracts for the above UK seminar. Note the
>> deadline: June 30 2005.
>>
>> Jane Sunderland
>>

> Jane Sunderland
> Director of Studies, PhD in Applied Linguistics by Thesis and Coursework
> and New Route PhD
> Dept. of Linguistics and English Language
> Lancaster University
> Lancs. LA1 4YT
>
> j.sunderland at lancs.ac.uk

>  [Image: "Upgrade Your Email - Click here!"]

> E-mail classificado pelo Identificador de Spam Inteligente.
> Para alterar a categoria classificada, visite o Terra Mail

> Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo E-mail Protegido Terra.
> Scan engine: McAfee VirusScan / Atualizado em 10/06/2005 / Versão: 4.4.00
> - Dat 4511
> Proteja o seu e-mail Terra: http://mail.terra.com.br/

Mary Bucholtz, Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics