Female Sociolinguists

J.Swann J.Swann at OPEN.AC.UK
Wed Jun 1 18:31:29 UTC 2005

Dear all - sorry to be responding so late to this discussion. I'm one of
the authors for the dictionary Emma is reviewing, so feel I need to say
something! Other authors are Ana Deumert, Theresa Lillis and Rajend
Mesthrie.

We were keenly aware that academic dictionaries (and encyclopedias, text
books etc) construct as well as reflect the areas they cover, and we
tried to take a broad, inclusive  approach to sociolinguistics. We spent
a long time on the question of names. Initially we weren't going to have
any. The dictionary is meant to represent terms whose meanings or usage
people want to check, and this wouldn't really be the context for
profiles of
people who had contributed to the field. By contrast Raj Mesthrie's
Concise Encyclopedia of Sociolinguistics (2001, Elsevier) does include a
set of 'Profiles of sociolinguists' as Miriam mentioned. Inevitably
there are omissions here and this does reflect the problematic nature of
this kind of exercise. In the case of the dictionary, we eventually
decided to include a very few names that students and other readers
might find in texts in connection with some kind of approach or theory -
so used a bit like an academic term, sometimes with limited explanation.
I'm thinking of phrases like 'the Labovian paradigm', and in fact many
of the names have a kind of adjectival status, though this doesn't work
for all of them. The names include major theorists whose work has been
taken up by sociolinguists (e.g. Foucault, Bakhtin) and a few
sociolinguists who might be considered foundational with respect to a
particular approach or aspect of sociolinguistics (e.g. Labov - in fact
the only variationist sociolinguist included). This inevitably results
in a biased list in terms of gender, language, geography etc, though I
think the situation is changing, certainly with respect to gender.

This doesn't mean we got it right, of course, but that was the thinking
behind it.

Best,

Joan