Seminar: 'Theoretical and Methodological Approaches to Gender and Language Study'

Baker, Paul j.p.baker at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Mon May 23 09:56:45 UTC 2005

Hi Jane,

I have a couple of questions about supervising PhD topics on the distance taught PhD programme.

How often should I be in contact with my student (and should I wait to contact him or should I say things like "I'll expect a report from you every 2 weeks" and if I don't hear from him I should contact him myself? Is there a timetable of expectations of things he should have achieved by the first year? At the moment, he's reading round and thinking about possible topics, but I'm getting slightly concerned that things aren't moving as fast as they should be and the lack of face-to-face contact makes it difficult to gauge what's going on. However, I'm aware that this works differently to a typical PhD so it may be fine!

Thanks,

Paul.