Female Sociolinguists

Marlis Hellinger hellinger at EM.UNI-FRANKFURT.DE
Thu May 26 08:33:47 UTC 2005

to the many names already suggested, add Anne Pauwels and Marlis Hellinger
(if I may give my own name).
Regards, Marlis
Prof. Dr. Marlis Hellinger
Institut für England- und Amerikastudien
Abteilung Linguistik
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität
D-60629 Frankfurt am Main
Tel.: +49(0)69 798 32530
Fax: +49(0)69 798 32531

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emma Moore" <e.moore at SHEF.AC.UK>
To: <GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 1:39 PM
Subject: Female Sociolinguists

Dear All,

I'm currently reviewing a new sociolinguistic dictionary. The dictionary
includes named entries of key academics (these include Labov, Hymes,
Bourdieu, for instance). The authors quite sensibly note that there is a
preponderance of white, Anglophone, male academics in their entries and
explain this as a consequence of the way in which academic disciplines
have developed. They go on to state that this situation is likely to
change over time.

Whilst I commend the fact that the authors note this at all, my feeling is
that the situation is unlikely to change unless dictionaries such as the
one I'm reviewing take a stand and introduce female, non-white academics
into their representation of the canon. It's not like there aren't
excellent female and/or non-white researchers out there.

How do others feel about this? If you support my view, who would you like
to see included?

Many thanks,
Emma.

Dr Emma Moore
Lecturer in Sociolinguistics; Admissions Tutor
Department of English Language and Linguistics
University of Sheffield
5 Shearwood Road
Sheffield
S10 2TN