Female Sociolinguists

Emma Moore e.moore at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Fri May 27 11:04:27 UTC 2005

Yes, I've realised that asking for names perhaps wasn't the smartest
move, but all of your responses and the subsequent discussions have
really helped me to think about what I want to say in the review, so
thank you.

All this has really made me think about the kind of action we ought to
be taking as linguists to address the blatant inequality of
representation in the field. If we accept that listing names is not a
productive (or indeed especially collaborative) way to assert the
profile of female/minority-identity researchers, how do we deal with the
fact that naming is a practice which helps to construct the research
paradigm as we know it? I guess it comes down to opposing a current
practice within the limits of the ideology that constructs it or simply
not engaging with practices of the ideology. In the latter case, aren't
we likely to be left out in the cold in terms of visibility?

Best,
Emma.
Dr Emma Moore
Lecturer in Sociolinguistics; Admissions Tutor
Department of English Language and Linguistics
University of Sheffield
5 Shearwood Road
Sheffield
S10 2TN