FW: citation indiex

Emma Moore e.moore at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Fri May 27 11:05:44 UTC 2005

Not sure this went to the entire list...

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Ervin-Tripp [mailto:ervin-tr at cogsci.berkeley.edu]
Sent: 27 May 2005 07:36
To: e.moore at sheffield.ac.uk
Cc: ervintripp at berkeley.edu
Subject: citation indiex

The naming of people in the GALA list has been hilarious, as if
it was some party invitation list.

Does anyone use the Citation Index to get a clue on who gets cited?
Of course these frequencies are wildly distorted by size of field, as
one
sees by looking oneself up--for instance any article even slightly
referring to education gets inflated frequencies. And the studies of the
Citation Index do show a rich gets richer phenomenon as in
"round up the usual suspects" when people construct article references.

I don't have my copy of Tucker and Paulston's book on the
history of sociolinguistics at hand, but it might be interesting
to look up female names cited there, if any!

Susan Ervin-Tripp

Dr Emma Moore
Lecturer in Sociolinguistics; Admissions Tutor
Department of English Language and Linguistics
University of Sheffield
5 Shearwood Road
Sheffield
S10 2TN