citation indiex

Amy Sheldon asheldon at TC.UMN.EDU
Fri May 27 18:16:00 UTC 2005

Hello,

Citation and naming are likely to reflect a more fundamental issue:  the
pattern of decision making in discipline-building at universities:  How is
sociolinguistics defined?  When a department is small, if it even has
sociolinguistics courses, what areas of sociolinguistics are covered and
required (considered to be "core") and what areas are considered optional
and not covered?  I don't know if the McElhinny et al. article addresses
this, but a check of course offerings in linguistic programs will yield
answers.

Amy Sheldon