new subscribers

Ibrahim Sallo reeman2005 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri Dec 29 02:43:29 UTC 2006

Dear Mary Bucholtz,
       Merry CHrismas
       Happy New YEar
      As you mentioned, I am one of those who  have recently been added to this list because I attended the recent IGALA conference. My question is how to subscribe?
     By the way, Im Associate Professor in Sociolinguistics. I am Iraqi.
      Waiting your kind reply.

      Yours
  Dr. Ibrahim Sallo

Mary Bucholtz <bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU> wrote:
  Dear all,

Some of you have recently been added to this list because you attended the
recent IGALA conference. Because a bulk operation of this kind doesn't
allow us to send out a welcome message, it's included here. In case you
prefer not to subscribe to GALA-L, you can unsubscribe by following the
instructions below. But we hope you'll remain a subscriber so you can learn
about upcoming IGALA activities and events as well as exchange ideas about
the study of language and gender.

Please do not reply to this message unless your message is intended for the
entire list. If you want to contact the listowners, follow the instructions
below.

Thanks,

Mary Bucholtz and Sara Trechter
The Listowners

----------

PLEASE SAVE THIS MESSAGE

Welcome to GALA-L, the official listserve of the International Gender and
Language Association (IGALA). GALA-L began life as a forum for the creation
of an international organization for the study of language, gender, and
sexuality. Now that that goal has been achieved, the list has shifted in
purpose, and it now serves as a way for those with an interest in language
and gender studies to exchange information and engage in discussion about
issues in the field.

WHY DID I RECEIVE THIS MESSAGE?

If you did not personally subscribe to GALA-L, you have been automatically
added because you presented your work at the most recent meeting of the
International Gender and Language Association or because you have joined
IGALA. Being subscribed to GALA-L is the best way to stay informed about
IGALA activities and events. If you do not want to subscribe to GALA-L, see
the instructions at the bottom of this message.

WHAT IS IGALA?

IGALA is a professional organization for scholars and students interested
in language, gender, and sexuality. For more information about its
activities, visit the IGALA home page at
http://www.stanford.edu/group/igala/

WHO SUBSCRIBES TO GALA-L?

GALA-L is open to anyone interested in language, gender, and sexuality,
including faculty, students, researchers in industry and the non-profit
sector, and independent scholars. Language and gender studies encompasses
a wide range of fields, including but not limited to anthropology, area
studies, cultural studies, education, ethnic studies, gender studies,
linguistics, literary studies, psychology, queer studies, rhetoric,
sociology, speech communication, and women's studies.

HOW DOES DISCUSSION ON THE LIST WORK?

GALA-L is closed and unmoderated. This means that only subscribers may post
to the list, but membership and postings by members are not approved or
moderated by the listowners. GALA can be used for announcements related to
language and gender studies (such as calls for papers, conferences, job
advertisements), for queries about any aspect of the field (teaching,
research, references, and so on), or for discussion about any topic
connected to the study of language, gender, and sexuality. The listowners
reserve the right to remove from GALA-L anyone whose postings to not
conform to the purpose of the list.

HOW DO I CONTRIBUTE TO THE DISCUSSION?

To post to GALA-L, send a message to GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG.

DOES GALA-L ARCHIVE ITS MESSAGES?

Yes. The URL for the archives is:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/gala-l.html

HOW DO I CHANGE MY SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS?

To temporarily suspend delivery of messages, to unsubscribe, or to change
your subscription options, go to the GALA-L homepage at:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/gala-l.html

WHAT IF I HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT GALA-L?

If you have other questions about GALA-L, contact one of the listowners:

Mary Bucholtz, Department of Linguistics, University of California, Santa
Barbara (bucholtz at linguistics.ucsb.edu)
Sara Trechter, Department of English, California State University, Chico
(strechter at csuchico.edu)

NOTE: Although the LINGUIST List has graciously allowed us to use its
server, IGALA and GALA-L are not affiliated with LINGUIST.

Mary Bucholtz, Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics
3607 South Hall
University of California