gender and 2nd language learning

amy sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Wed Mar 1 16:15:24 UTC 2006

Hello,
Livia Polanyi has an article or book chapter titled "Language learning
abroad" about the effects of sexual harassment on achievement scores of
U. S.  females (compared to males) who study outside of the U.S. during
college. It's not directly about motivation but it's related. It's
primarily about dissimilar  opportunities for using the language on
their study abroad, for females and males who have equivalent
predeparture achievement test scores. Their different achievement test
scores when they returned to the U.S. are accounted for by their
different experiences using language in the gendered conversational
contexts they find themselves in abroad.
Amy Sheldon