forward: Catharine Stimpson Prize for Outstanding Feminist Scholarship

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Thu May 4 14:56:29 UTC 2006

The following award may be of interest to members of the list. Please note
that I am simply forwarding the message and am not affiliated with the
award committee in any way.

Best,

Mary

-----------------
> Contact: Suzanne Wu / 773-834-0386 / swu at press.uchicago.edu
>
> University of Chicago Press announces Catharine Stimpson Prize for
> Outstanding Feminist Scholarship
>
> The University of Chicago Press is pleased to announce the creation
> of the
> Catharine Stimpson Prize for Outstanding Feminist Scholarship.
> Named in
> honor of the Founding Editor of Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and
> Society, the Catharine Stimpson Prize is designed to recognize
> excellence
> and innovation in the work of emerging feminist scholars. The prize
> will be
> awarded for the first time in 2007 and biannually thereafter.
>
> The prize-winning paper, selected by feminist scholars from around the
> globe, will be published in Signs. The author will receive an
> honorarium of
> $1,000.
>
> Eligibility: Feminist scholars in the early years of their careers
> (less
> than seven years since receipt of the terminal degree) are invited
> to submit
> papers for the Catharine Stimpson Prize. Papers may be on any topic
> that
> falls within the broad rubric of discipline-based or interdisciplinary
> feminist scholarship. Papers submitted for the prize must be no
> longer than
> 10,000 words and must conform to the guidelines for Signs
> contributors.
> Submission guidelines are available at
> http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/Signs/instruct.html.
>
> Deadline for Submissions: The deadline for submissions for the
> inaugural
> Catharine Stimpson Prize competition is October 30, 2006.
>
> Papers should be submitted online via the Signs website
> (http://mss.uchicago.edu/Signs/). Be sure to indicate in the cover
> letter
> that the submission is for consideration for the Catharine Stimpson
> Prize.
>
> About Catharine Stimpson: Catharine Stimpson served as the first
> editor of
> Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society from 1975 to 1980.
> Currently
> the Dean of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences at New York
> University,
> Stimpson was a central figure in the establishment of women's
> studies as a
> vital academic discipline. She has served as chairperson of the
> National
> Council for Research on Women, on the Ms. magazine Board of
> Scholars, and as
> director of the Women's Center of Barnard College, the Institute for
> Research on Women at Rutgers, and the MacArthur Foundation Fellows
> program.
>
> About Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society: The leading
> international journal in women's studies, Signs publishes articles
> [...]

Tania Israel, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Counseling, Clinical, & School Psychology
Gevirtz Graduate School of Education
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9490
phone (805) 893-5008
fax (805) 893-3375
e-mail: tisrael at education.ucsb.edu
web page: http://www.education.ucsb.edu/people/israel.html

"The way to end war is to stop hating the enemy."  Pema Chodron

Mary Bucholtz, Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics
3607 South Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3100
phone: (805) 893-5415
fax: (805) 893-7769
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/bucholtz/

Spring 2006 office hours: M 3:30-4:30, Th 2-3