Call for Materials - IGALA Workshop on teaching language and gender courses

Barbara LeMaster lemaster at CSULB.EDU
Thu Sep 28 15:34:14 UTC 2006

thanks Chris
On Sep 27, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Christopher Trueblood wrote:

> Dear Language and Gender Scholars,
>
> I am writing on behalf of Barbara LeMaster and Amy Sheldon, who are
> organizing a workshop for the 2006 IGALA conference in Valencia, Spain
> on issues and ideas in the teaching of language and gender. (See
> workshop details below)
>  Part of our goal is to create an accessible database of syllabi and
> assignments as teaching resources for language and gender classes.
>  We are writing to ask if you would be willing to contribute any
> syllabi or assignments you have used in your own language and gender
> classes to the project. You would, of course, retain authorship and
> credit for the work, and any use of your material would require
> citation, like any other published work.
>
> Any items you would be willing to contribute would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris Trueblood
> Graduate Assistant
> Department of Linguistics
> California State University, Long Beach
> 1250 N Bellflower Blvd
> Long Beach, CA  90840, USA
> ctrueblo at csulb.edu
>
> Workshop on issues in the design and implementation of your course on
> language and gender
>
> Facilitators:
> Barbara LeMaster, California State University-Long Beach,
> lemaster at csulb.edu
> Amy Sheldon, University of Minnesota, asheldon at umn.edu
>

> There often are complex issues to tackle in designing and teaching a
> course on language and gender. This workshop follows on from the
> Holmes and del-Teso-Craviotto workshop at IGALA3. We intend to provide
> a forum that promotes the exchange of information, ideas, materials
> and practices among new and experienced teachers.
>
> In the spirit of sharing resources and practices, we are seeking
> contributions of materials to use in hands-on discussion. Please send
> your own syllabus, and/or an assignment you may want to have
> critiqued, or other material, in advance to the facilitators. You may
> use Please send any materials to ctrueblo at csulb.edu with the subject
> line "IGALA4 workshop materials". Materials may also be brought to the
> workshop.
>

> Two main issues will be addressed in the workshop:
>
> 1. Course design issues
> The field of language and gender and associated areas such as feminist
> studies, have been developing rapidly. Our goal in this part of the
> workshop is to consider issues in course design. Participants will
> discuss the following: approaches to the design of syllabi (e.g.
> topical and/or historical), choice of topics to cover, data-driven
> activities, finding relevant audio-visual materials, and, possibly,
> activities that assess and enhance students' learning.
>
> 2. Assignments
> In this section of the workshop you will have an opportunity to
> create, evaluate and work through a few assignments. Our goal is for
> [...]
Dr. Barbara LeMaster
Professor
Departments of Anthropology and Linguistics
FO3-320
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840