Gender in writing

Emma Moore e.moore at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Mon Apr 23 14:15:22 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of a colleague of mine. Please reply directly
to her at: p.j.meth at sheffield.ac.uk and NOT to me or the entire list!

Thanks,
Emma.

**
I have recently completed a study with men in South Africa where they
have written diaries (about their experiences of violence) for me over a
period of 4 - 6 weeks. The diaries are highly detailed and emotional and
read more like stories of their lives. This project follows a very
similar project I conducted with women in 2002 also using diaries. I am
particularly interested in literature that examines the ways in which
men and women write (diary writing / personal story writing in
particular would be useful). I am interested in discussions about topic,
expression, extent and style of writing. Most of the literature I know
of relates to differences between the ways men and women speak / gender
and conversation (eg. Tannen and Coates). I am interested in finding
material which looks at written expression rather than conversational.
Any pointers would be most appreciated as this is very far from my
field.

Thanks,
Paula.

Dr Paula Meth
Department of Town and Regional Planning
University of Sheffield
Winter Street
Sheffield S10 2TN
Email: p.j.meth at sheffield.ac.uk