Romance Languages and Social Gender

Miriam Meyerhoff mhoff at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue May 8 08:41:31 UTC 2007

Richard,

You don't say if you are interested in Br.
Portuguese as well as continental. If so, you
might check out work by Ana Cristina Ostermann

2006 Comunidades de prácticas de gênero no trabalho. In: Viviane Heberle, Ana
Christina Ostermann and Débora de Carvalho Figueiredo (eds) Estudos de
Linguagem e Gênero no Brasil. Florianópolis: Editora de UFSC.

José Santaemiliano has a 2003 edited collection
Género, lenguaje y traducción. Published by
University of Valencia. Individual papers deal
with Spanish, Catalan, French. (Some in Spanish)
Probably easiest to get this by contacting José
directly. And he will have an up to date
bibliography of work being done in CAtalan and
Spanish.

Joan Pujolar i Cos probably also has a good
bibliography of people working on  Catalan (and
Sp.?) and gender, since he does himself.

Suzanne Fleischman used to work on gender and
French. A paper in the Proceedings of the 3rd
Berkeley Women and Lg Conference (those
proceedings also a source for materials on
Spanish in the US).

That should be a start...

chrz, mm