Forward: call for papers for MP: A Feminist Online Journal (Jrnl) (fwd)

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Tue Oct 9 22:07:37 UTC 2007

I'm forwarding this from LINGUIST. Please don't reply to me or the list.

Mary

Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:19:57
From: April Gentry [gentrya at savstate.edu]
Subject: MP: A Feminist Online Journal
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2933.ht
ml&submissionid=158382&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: MP: A Feminist Online Journal

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 04-Nov-2007

Call for papers for a special issue of MP: A Feminist Online Journal

     http://www.academinist.org/mp/

Back Talk: The Language of Defiance, Denial, Distortion, and Development

Scheduled Publication Date: January 15, 2007

Imus's use of the power of the language to reduce successful young women to
objects of racial epithet got him fired. In a South Philadelphia
neighborhood, a cheesesteak restaurant owner becomes the subject of a
national debate about whether the language of immigrants is valid and
whether it should retain power in the United States, even the simple power
to order a sandwich. Meanwhile, America as a whole asks the question on the
world stage of whether the power of words is permitted to 'enemy
combatants', and even to Congress as they attempt
to end the war in Iraq. President Bush uses the power of words in the form
of signing statements, accompanying each veto of congressional legislation
that he sends out.      Internationally, the people of war-torn lands such
as Darfur struggle to find a voice to ask for aid and the women of many
countries cry out for protection against institutionalized rape. Speaking
out has been an important concept in feminism from the beginning. Who owns
language? Who can use its power? And how is that power used in a modern,
technological, global world? How can it be harnessed for good? In this
issue of MP Journal, we seek papers that explore language and its power and
how that relates to national and international issues.

Submissions

We accept submissions from all types of writers. In order to be considered,
all submissions should:

*    be scholarly/academic in nature;
*    use MLA format;
*    be sent as an attachment (*.doc, *.txt, *.rtf -- no *.pdf, please!);

*    include a CV or writing resume and a 50 word bio;
*    abide by the copyright and image use information listed on our website.

Send submission to: lynda_hinkle at yahoo.com by November 4, 2007.
LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2933

Mary Bucholtz, Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics