"keep it real"

Robert O'Mochain omochain at LANG.OSAKA-U.AC.JP
Sat Jul 12 06:53:13 UTC 2008

Dear Sarah Colvin,

I first heard that expression on an episode of "Seinfeld" (probably 1997).
In the context of the storyline it seems funny on the lips of the character,
Costanza, because he uses it to say goodbye to the parents of his former
finance. They seem too old and high class for that phrase; it seems too
casual in the context because of the serious tone involved with the parents
(he was partly responsible for the death of their daughter); and finally,
because the character in the show often lies to this couple (and often lies
in general) so the implication of authenticity in "Keep it real," seems
incongruous coming from "Costanza".

Hope this helps (if only a little!)

Robert O'Mochain.

-----Original Message-----
From: International Gender and Language Association
[mailto:GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Sarah Colvin
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 10:24 PM
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: [GALA-L] "keep it real"

Can anybody give me a reference or advise me re. the history, use, and
meaning of the phrase "keep it real"?
Thanks,
Sarah Colvin

Professor Sarah Colvin
University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
Tel. ++ 131 650 3630
email: sarah.colvin at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.