body language

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Tue Mar 25 18:30:54 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Cecilia E.Ford wrote:

> Amy and all
> I could imagine studying the sign language of deaf drag kings,
> following on the work of Judith Halberstam on Female Masculinity.
	Agreed.

> One could also explore the use of body in drag king performance
> more generally.  Interviews with the performers might provide a
> grounding in how they identify (or not) with "masculinity" as they
> perform (and off stage).

	One of the problems I have with the idea of describing nondrag king
women as "mascuiline" women, is that it conveys the idea that such
women are not "real" women.  Not bona fide. If we stick with labels
that come out of the rhetoric of gender hierarchy and gender
categories, i.e., the status quo,, that's one of the consequences.
Gender is political.
Amy