body language: labels

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Wed Mar 26 02:36:40 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, at 8:13 PM, Joshua Raclaw wrote:

> I'm not sure that referring to these women as "masculine"
> necessarily conveys that kind of delegitimation.  The term comes
> off (to me) more as reinforcing ideas about gender fluidity

	of that individual speaker or of  gender display across speakers?

> rather than the status quo, and I see it used in scholarship most
> often to challenge the dominant connection between masculinity and
> male bodies, or the idea that only "feminine" women are real women.

I see your point. However, both interpretations are possible.  Gender
labels are just too restrictive and the potential to reify
difference is strong.  Real people are far more complex than the
stereotypes and caricatures. How can we capture that human
complexity, which is at times beyond gender, or gender irrelevant?  I
don't feel that the label "masculine women" does that.  It still
positions the person who is so-labeled, within the system of gender
polarities, or stereotypes of gender differences.

> On the other hand, I'd probably be more inclined to read about how
> these women "do masculinity" through conversation rather than a
> description of "masculine women's conversational style"

To paraphrase Cameron & Kulick Ch. 3, p. 52 _Language & Sexuality_,
[masculine or feminine women's style] "is more (of)  an idealized
symbolic concept, than  an empirically accurate account of the speech
of the 'average' woman [white, professional, English-speaking,
American]."

Add to this that we really have no data on how this average woman, or
even a masculine woman, fits her speech to various contexts
throughout her day, and therefore no idea about her linguistic
*repertoire*. This  means that we're really basing these categories
on too little data.  This is tenuous description of real people and
their subjectivities.  We don't yet know how big a difference there
is between the representation of what women's talk  is like (symbolic
and idealized, perhaps superficial and caricatured, thin), and the
way real women (or men) speak.  Thus, labels ("masculine women") seem
premature, and potentially limiting.  As if we sufficiently know what
actual "nonmasculine" women (as opposed to the caricature) actually
speak like.
Amy