List subscription issues

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Wed Mar 26 18:28:33 UTC 2008

Thanks to Kira for sending this message, a version of which I was just
about to post myself! More generally, I'd like to update everyone on a few
issues regarding GALA-L. First, I'm delighted that there's been so much
activity on the list recently, but for those who are feeling overwhelmed
and would prefer a daily digest format instead of individual messages, you
can choose that when you change your subscription options at the website
below. For those who no longer wish to subscribe, you can unsubscribe there
as well.

Second, one consequence of the increased list activity is increased number
of error messages to the listowners due to bad addresses, mailboxes over
quota, and people on vacation. I've removed a number of subscribers with
bad addresses; those who are over quota or on vacation, or those whose
servers seem to go down repeatedly, have been placed on temporary "no mail"
status. If in future you suddenly stop receiving GALA-L messages, you may
be in one of the above situations; check your subscription settings first
and then contact me if you have problems.

Third, because there are over 700 subscribers to this list, it will be most
efficient if you manage your subscription yourself. If you go to the
website and have trouble, then you should feel free to contact me. PLEASE
DO NOT CONTACT THE LIST WITH SUBSCRIPTION PROBLEMS! It clutters others'
inboxes and you won't necessarily get the help you need.

Fourth, it's wonderful that we have so many subscribers to the list, but a
much smaller subset are members of the International Gender and Language
Assocation (IGALA), which is the organization that this list was designed
to serve. We're delighted to see so much interest in language and gender
and want to keep the list open to anyone who would like to subscribe, but
we also want to strongly encourage subscribers to become members of the
organization. Membership includes a subscription to the journal Gender and
Language, voting rights, and other privileges. For more information, see:
<http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/organisations/igala/index.html>

Finally, in belated response to a subscriber request, I've now set the list
to include the subject header [GALA-L], which will help you to manage your
email from the list. Please feel free to contact me (not the list!) if you
have other requests.

Best,

Mary

--On Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:20 AM -0700 Kira Hall
<Kira.Hall at COLORADO.EDU> wrote:

> Dear Sean C Lynch Painting and others,
>

> For those of you who want to unsubscribe from the list, please do so
> yourself, instead of adding even more emails to our disgruntled
> subscriber email collections.
>

> Below is the unsubscribe info that Mary Bucholtz sends out to the list
> periodically and that you received in an email when you subscribed to the
> list. Good luck. I'm certain you can figure it out.
>

> Kira

> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/gala-l.html

Mary Bucholtz, Associate Professor
Department of Linguistics