what IS gender after all?

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Fri Mar 28 20:34:46 UTC 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:50 PM, Kenneth Hyde wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Amy Sheldon wrote:
>
>> But how we theorize gender is related to how we theorize language
>> and gender.
>
> This seems to be rather worryingly Whorfian.  If by "theorize," you
> mean "talk about" or "write about," then I can accept your point.
> However, if you mean "conceptualize" or "think about," then I would
> have to demur.

I mean "make a theory of" gender.
I use 'theory' in the usual way scientists use it.
For example. The way I understand gender, as it is conventionally
socially constructed, is that it is a THEORY OF DIFFERENCE.
Gender is the social meaning given to bodies that are female or male.
This social theory constructs these bodies as being "the opposite
sex".  It's, currently, a difference that makes a difference...

>  I'm not persuaded that language has a deterministic effect on our
> thinking.

that's a different kettle of fish.

>  I'm fairly firmly committed to the proposition that concepts and
> categories exist independent of the existence (or lack thereof) of
> labels (i.e. words or other semiotic tokens) and that the mapping
> between the realm of thought and the realm of language is imperfect
> at best.
>
>> Can you give an example of what "presents herself in a 'masculine'
>> way" is and what the "masculine zone of the collective gender-
>> space of her community" (or yours) is, or contains, or means, or a
>> woman would behave like when they're there?  And what is the
>> "feminine zone"?
>
> Well, let me start by expanding on the idea of "gender-space."
> First, I posit that gender is a socially constructed abstract
> aspect of identity (this seems fairly unexceptionable).

Well, here's where I stumble on what you say.

I think of gender as socially constructed, too, but I am talking
about REPRESENTATIONS, not necessarily identity.
I don't think there is a simple one to one mapping between social
representation(s) of gender(s) and a person's psycho-social identity,
constructed at some point in their life span.
Humans are aware of the representations of gender that circulate in
their social spheres (through books, media, norms transmitted tacitly
in action and explicitly through prescriptions that we are given
(e.g., "be nice" to a girl,) etc.)
BUT, those are sketchy, thin, and mostly stereotypes, if not
caricatures.
Real human beings are far more complex than the stereotypes that
circulate to represent gender(s).

DOING gender is a creative process that requires us to align, resist,
ignore, transform, or do something with the internalized
understanding we have of general, gender "appropriate" behaviors and
conventions.

As for identity, whatever that process entails, it too is creative.
It requires us to mediate between the internalized representations of
gender and our "sense of self", whatever that is...  This is very
much affected by our awareness of what gender is, and the freedom our
society gives us to act, and the sanctions that we're threatened with
if we do.  Many women around the world, for example, don't have the
luxury of having conversations that could raise awareness, and the
social supports that could  liberate them from the bonds of gender
expectations.  Just having a female body is dangerous.

>  In order to talk about this abstract construct, I'm using the
> model of a conceptual space.  That space is defined by the features
> (and values of those features) that are relevant to gender in a
> given community.  As the axes of features intersect and interact,
> zones of identity within the space are created.  The masculine zone
> would be the part of the space that contains those features and
> values that the social group collectively view as "masculine" (i.e.
> associated with the label "masculine")  Between social groups, the
> specific features and values that form the masculine zone of the
> gender-space could vary.  The feminine zone would be a similar part
> of the gender-space characterized by those features and values that
> are viewed by the social group as meriting the label "feminine."
> Other zones of identity could also exist.  For example, in some
> social groups, "macho" might be a distinct zone from "masculine" or
> "femme" might be distinct from "feminine."  In theory, by mapping
> this gender-space, we could perhaps arrive at a more accurate
> picture of gender identities

oops...why would that mapping tell us about gender IDENTITIES?  It
seems that what you could say with more certainty is that it would
tell us something about gender REPRESENTATION.

> in a community, discovering specific zones that are not yet labeled
> but that nevertheless exist.
>
> Okay, now, to the first question.  By "presents herself in a
> 'masculine' way," I mean to say that the woman in question through
> behavior, speech, appearance, and other social and individual
> phenomena aligns herself with the features and values in the
> masculine zone of her community's gender-space.

"aligns"?
Or "gets aligned with"?

Frankly, when I use certain forms of speech, like direct requests, I
am not aligning with anything masculine. If I'm conscious of
anything, it's that I'm RESISTING alignment with a caricature of
femininity that says it's "women's language" to hedge, mitigate,
etc.  Or I'm aligning with the professional role I have that requires
me to sound authoritative.  Sometimes I'm conscious of taking a risk
that by NOT hedging I may be sanctioned, because I'm stepping OUT of
the STEREOTYPE of what the listeners think I SHOULD talk like, and
therefore, who I should BE, what kind of a woman I should be.  This
has been discussed as "role stress", or "the double bind".

And, since I come from a dialect area (the Bronx), and a culture in
which women DO/DID talk like this,  it doesn't seem UNfeminine to do
so at all.  All of this is relative. What passes for acceptably
"feminine" in a place like Minnesota, is read quite differently in
other cultures and regions, in which women are far less sanctioned
for speaking in less mitigated ways.  And vice verse.  This is not news.

But it is relevant to this discussion. My concern is that it is easy
to get seduced into thinking we have represented a LIVED femininity
or masculinity (i.e. "identity"), when all we have done is made more
explicit reductionist stereotypes and caricatures.

Our representations of gender are too limited.  Real people are far
more complex than the labeled boxes people want to put us into
(especially before they really 'know' us).

My own opinion is that (notice the mitigator), I don't think it is
very revealing to describe someone as a "masculine woman".  That is
just RElabeling.
Plus,  it's a perjorative label.  Just as "feminine man" is.
What if we moved beyond labels?

>  Thus, in a community where masculine is associated with features
> of strong verbal posturing (braggadocio or one-upsmanship, etc.),
> the "masculine" woman would exhibit these features.  On the other
> hand, in a community where stoicism or withholding is a feature of
> masculine identity, then the "masculine" woman would exhibit this
> trait.

And what about a woman who belongs to multiple communities in which
'strong verbal posturing", whatever "posturing" means,
is allowed in one but sanctioned in another?  She's bicultural, let's
say. Is she simply regarded as a "woman" in one community and a
"masculine woman" in another?  And what's her LIVED experience of
womanhood?  How does SHE understand herself to be?  What about women
and men who consider labels to be a hinderance?  There is no direct
mapping between the labels and one's "identity".   It's not just
trans people who feel this way about gender...

> Nor would this presentation be limited to language behavior.  It
> could include actions, clothing, facial expressions, physical
> posture, etc.  In some communities (perhaps many), a woman who
> plays rough sports, wears sweats and a hoodie, maintains a closed
> expression and stands and moves in a certain way could be said to
> be "presenting herself in a masculine way."

		do we want to live in a world like this?

>  And yes, these examples are simplistic stereotypes.  In reality, I
> realize that self-presentation is much more complicated, involving
> a vast number of variables.  In a properly mapped gender-space some
> features would be neutral, either because they are not associated
> with any identity zone or because they are associated with several
> different zones.  Other features or values might be more or less
> proximal to the center of an identity zone and thus more or less
> relevant in self-presentation.

	If the gender space is neutral, then we don't need it any more...

> And of course, self-presentation would not necessarily be a
> phenomenon of the conscious self.  I suspect that most people do
> gender identity and other types of self-presentation from a
> partially or entirely subconscious basis.  It would be very
> interesting to study whether conscious self-presentation of gender
> differs from subconscious...and how it differs if it does.

	how would you design a study to test this...?
Amy