No subject

Campbell, Heather hecampbell at CSU.EDU.AU
Mon May 5 00:03:52 UTC 2008

I agree, Laura. I have found this discussion very interesting, and I certainly accept the cultural differences that are in play here, but my concern was not about the language in terms of its 'foulness'; I'm not particularly squeamish about letting a swear word fly, even in front of my four year old daughter. But never *at* her, and I think it is the combination of the actions and the language used as if directed at a person that made me uncomfortable for the child.

The language used and violence depicted does make the film somewhat problematic if it is intended for use as an educational tool. I would certainly not be allowed to show such a film in primary (elemental) school, and there may be difficulties in getting it shown in secondary school. But I may well use it with the tertiary education students I teach, and get their responses. I have shown several of my colleagues, and they have each had a similar reaction to mine, in that their concern for the child overshadowed their agreement with the anti-abuse message contained within the film.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this discussion; much food for thought.

Heather

Australia

From: International Gender and Language Association [mailto:GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Laura Tolton
Sent: Sunday, 4 May 2008 12:48 PM
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: [GALA-L]

Several comments have focused on "strong language" and how shocking this is depending on what culture we use to understand it.  Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a portrayal of abuse, both physical and verbal/emotional.  The individual words used may be strong or not, but the message, the actions and the implications are essential to understanding the film.  The words used don't have to be particularly strong-there is a strong message.  The message from the girl to her doll is in fact quite typical of messages communicated in abusive marriages, in examples I have knowledge of from both Colombia (Bogotá) and the United States (small town, Midwest), as well as what I have learned from readings about abusive talk in other places.  *Swearing* (which occurs in the English translation more than the Spanish version) is not what makes something abusive or not!

"Being direct, argumentative and coming out strong is a positive thing and children are exposed to and learn to use fighting words early".
In response, I have to say that I cannot believe that this use of language somehow empowers the girl-she is acting out abuse, as if she were her father!  Sometimes the message communicated through actions is easier to understand as abusive than a message communicated using words.  If we consider the girl rubbing the doll's face in the food, is that empowering the girl?  Whether she is supposedly learning to act like her mother or her father, I do not see how this could be an empowering experience for her.