No subject

Megan Crowhurst mcrowhurst at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon May 5 14:40:31 UTC 2008

I was thinking of it as an educational tool in
training volunteers at Austin's women's shelter.
These trainings are (among other things) a form
of intervention (some new volunteers are
well-meaning but relatively uninformed).  The
woman who runs the volunteer trainings at our
shelter thought it might be useful.

On my last visit to Calgary (in Canada), I
noticed that short films with public service
messages are being played before the main
features at movie theatres.  One I saw had an
environmental theme (e.g. emphasis on simple
things all of us can do to conserve resources),
another had an "anti-bullying" theme, and seemed
to be aimed at adolescents.  The video we saw
might be a bit stark to play in an entertainment
context (?) but something less aggressive might
fly.

>It could be a "warning" type film for young
>adults, but even then it might be met with a
>response like "oh, I'd never let that happen".
>It's an interesting question, though, who the
>audience is for this.  Mothers who should be
>leaving their abusive husbands?  Policy makers
>who need to pay more attention to this issue?
>Abusive spouses to see the effects on their
>children?
>
>Sarah

Teachers in training, who might encounter
children from abusive homes?  University
students, in various kinds of classes (public
policy? Rhetoric? Media studies? Sociology?
Public health? ...)?  Medical personnel, and
those in other helping professions?

- Megan

Megan J. Crowhurst, Ph.D.
Associate Professor